San Luis Obispo Legal Dictionary
- Accident scene reconstructionist: Specially trained experts who use physics, engineering and computer software to accurately reconstruct the cause and dynamics of an automobile accident
- Civil action: A lawsuit brought in civil court relating to noncriminal matters
- Contingent fee: A conditional legal fee only imposed if the attorney is successful in recovering financial compensation for a client
- Discovery: The legal process where both parties involved in a lawsuit will collect and demand evidence from one another
- Economic damages: Financial awards sought to compensate for medical expenses, lost wages and property damage in a personal injury lawsuit
- Economist: A financial expert who can quantify and qualify the past and future costs associated with medical expenses and wage loss due to a personal injury
- Expert witness: A professional called upon to testify in a personal injury case who by virtue of education or experience can provide authoritative evidence
- Intentional conduct: A deliberate action that harms or injurers another individual
- Liability: A person or entity is held responsible when their acts or negligence cause harm or injury to another
- Life care planner: This professional evaluates and determines the medical care that an individual
- Loss of consortium: A term used in personal injury and wrongful death cases where an individual’s relationship with his or her spouse is significantly impacted as the result of a serious injury or death of a loved one. Loss of consortium can be calculated into noneconomic damages
- Negligence: Carelessness or disregard for standards of care of safety, the result of which causes another individual harm or injury.
- Noneconomic damages: Usually referred to as compensation for pain and suffering
- Personal injury: Physical or mental injury caused by an accident
- Premises liability: The legal responsibility of a property owner when an individual is injured on his or her premises
- Products liability: The legal responsibility of a corporation or business for any injuries sustained by consumer who use their products
- Professional malpractice: When certain professionals (such as lawyer or doctor) violates professional standards or breaches a duty of care, causing physical, emotional or financial harm to a client
- Recovery: Financial compensation given to an injured individual in the form of a settlement or verdict
- Statute of limitations: Legal deadlines under which personal injury claims and lawsuits must be filed
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Personal automobile insurance to cover your own medical expenses and lost wages should you be injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist
- Wage loss: Lost wages caused by the inability to work due to a personal injury accident. Wage loss may be calculated into economic damages.
- Wrongful death: A civil action case where an individual and his or her insurer can be held liable for the death of another in a personal injury accident.
San Luis Obispo Personal Injury Attorney
After a serious accident, the Law Office of Daniel J. O’Neill can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve. Contact our California law firm toll-free at 1-877-640-6522 and ask to speak with an experienced San Luis Obispo personal injury lawyer about your case.
Free consultation · All cases taken on contingency